Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chemo Dates Set

I met with the woman who will be administering my chemo.  This was one of "HARDEST" days that I have had since all of this, for the reason I was told by my oncologist that I would have chemo once every three weeks.  I thought, that is great, I would not have to be driving to downtown Phoenix each week and I would be able to build back up my blood levels during the following two weeks.  NOT THE CASE.

I will be starting my first CYCLE of chemo on Wednesday, January 14th.  I will have chemo in my upper chest port the 1st day with the drug Paclitatel (Taxol) and will take 4 to 6 hours.  I come back on day 2, January 15th, for the next treatment in my abdominal port.  The drug that they are using is Cisplatin and will take 3-4 hours.  Then on day 8, January 21st, they will put Paclitatel (Taxol) in my abdominal port and put saline solution into my upper chest port to keep me hydrated.  This should take another 4-5 hours.  Needless to say, I had feelings of expectation and disappointment, along with a big helping of information overload.  I realized that I now have the chance of being three times as sick and feeling more than a little distraught.  The tears started to flow all to freely, right there in the doctors office in front of all of them.  Feeling embarrassed, I let them know that I knew that they are going to fix me up as good as new, but not without some pain and suffering on my end.  (I am allergic to so many things that I feel like I am definitely going to be put on chemical overload).  Not to mention the ongoing heart problems I have!  I know that it is not going to be easy, but will definitely be worth it!

I am set up to have 6 CYCLES of chemo.  Each cycle is three weeks long.  I will have chemo on days 1, 2 and 8 and then I will have 13 days off (except for blood tests and hopefully no hospital stays because of fevers etc. while watching my blood count).  The side effects from putting the chemo into the abdomen is a lot of cramping, along with bone, muscle and headaches.  The port in the abdomen is like a leech line.  Then the chemo goes into your abdomen, the tissue soaks it up.  It is then processed through the kidneys.  This is the best cure for ovarian cancer...more potent and highly successful.

They now have several ways to keep nausea at bay.  One of them being a patch that you wear.  It is called Sancuso.  I will wear it for the first two weeks, but don't have to wear it during week three.  I will also have oral medications to add if needed and pain medication for all of the aches and pains.  I am really hoping to not have to take them, as they really mess with me!!

"Boy, did I give you too much information in this blog post"!!  I just want you to know that I so appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers on my behalf - I am truly blessed to have all of you in my life!  Thank you in advance for your continued prayers.

I am so looking forward to the day that I am on the other side of this adventure, back to my normal life but with a new deeper appreciation for ALL things.  But for now, I am learning to replace my fear with FAITH.  The FAITH that God is always with me and will see me through any and all difficulties.  All I need to do is ask.  This I know for sure.  "BE CALM - CARRY ON"!
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. You inspire me so much by your optimism (even though I know it is so hard to be cheerful) and your faith. You are an example to so many of us. You will truly be blessed that I am sure of. Thanks for all the updates, we always check them! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!:) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete