Friday, June 26, 2009

CELEBRATION TIME - FINAL ROUND OF CHEMO COMPLETED!!


TIME TO CELEBRATE!! I had my FINAL round of chemo on June 10th. Oh what a WONDERFUL feeling!! I got my Certificate of Completion and I am so hopeful that I will NOT have to EVER do this again! I have been to Hell and back and I now know what it means to be a CANCER SURVIVOR!! Nobody said it was going to be easy ~ only worth it!!

After my chemo treatment on Wednesday, June 10th, I was noticing that I was more tired than I normally am after a chemo treatment. I could hardly move. My arms and legs felt like lead. I could hear my heart beating in my ears ALL the time, and when I did get up, I was really out of breath. I made it through the next four days and on Monday, June 15th, I went to the lab for another blood draw. To make a long story short, I didn't have enough red blood cells. The doctors office called and told me to go immediately to Good Samaritan for another cross type and match. The normal range for Hemoglobin is 11.5 - 16.0 and I was at 5.9! No wonder I was feeling so rotten! They were able to give me two units of blood which helped me start to feel better right away. I am now at 8.4, which is still under the normal range, but they think that my body will start making more red blood cells now that I am no longer having chemo. I have to keep drawing blood once a week for the next four weeks so they can monitor my recovery.

In the next two weeks, they will do a PET scan. I am looking forward to getting this done. I am praying that the chemo did it's job and that there are no other "hot" spots in my body to worry about. I will have to see my doctor every three months for the next five years so they can monitor me. My doctor and his staff (including the hospital staff) were wonderful and I am so grateful to each and every one of them for their knowledge and skills.

I am going back to work on Monday, June 29th!! I am so excited to get back and am looking forward to NORMAL everyday living. My office has been so supportive to me and is the BEST group of people you could ever work with. They have been right by my side during all of this, and are willing to take me back after being gone for 6 months! Thank you so much for your patience!!

I will update the blog as soon as I get the results from my PET scan and will also let you know how I am doing once I get back to work! I know that I need to be patient with myself because it will take about a year to get all of the chemicals out of my body and to look and feel normal again. I will remember that when I feel unwell, that the same power that made my body knows how to restore it to its original state of well-being. "When there is nothing left but God, that is when you find out that God is all you need!"
Blessings to all!

~Sheree~

1 comment:

  1. Mom, we are so excited for you to have made it this far doing so well. We hope and pray for the best. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete