Monday, February 16, 2009

Port Removal

Well, after much craziness in the world of cancer treatment, my oncologist has decided to remove both of my ports (I have one port in my chest and one in my abdomen). I met with my oncologist on Friday, February 13th, and he said that since he is not exactly sure what is causing the allergic reactions, and he can't rule out the ports, he is going to remove them. 
 
The last chemo treatment that was attempted on February 4th, they were only flushing the port with saline solution to prepare for pre-medication of chemo, and within 30 seconds of flushing the port, I could not breath well, had chest pain, my heart was racing, I felt like my face was going to explode and my eyes were blood red, so much so that you could barely see the brown of my eyes, along with an instant headache.  I thought that I was "checking out"!!!  All I could say was "help me" to my husband, while three people were trying to get me stablized.  They immediately gave me benedryl, put me on oxygen and gave me some sort of steroid.   It took over 1 1/2 hours before I felt that I was going to make it.   SCARY STUFF!!!
 
My oncologist thinks that there might have been some left over Taxol (chemo drug I am allergic to for sure!) left in the port from the first attempt at chemo, and when the port was flushed with saline solution, it broke the residue loose.  Or, I might be allergic to the metal and plastic that the port is made of.  He also thought that I might be allergic to the medication that they topically use before the chemo.  WHO KNOWS!!!!
 
Whatever caused the reactions, from here on out I will need to be closely monitored, so I will be having everything done in the hospital.  I am being admitted to the hospital on Monday, February 16th for the removal of the ports and if all goes well, they will start chemo in the afternoon on Monday, but most likely it will be on Tuesday, February 17th, where they are now going to use an IV drip in place of the ports.  
 
I am NOT sorry to see these ports go!!   The port in my chest has bothered me since the day it was put in. It pulls and itches and the skin on my upper chest, neck and face react by turning bright red (looking like a chemical burn) along with retaining fluids, each time they try to use the port. 
 
I want to thank all of you for the prayers, love and support that you give to me.  I feel it everyday!  I am hoping that I will finally be on the road to recovery.  I try to remember that  "FAITH is the ability to NOT panic".  I am working on that one!!!!   Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment