Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ports Out - Chemo In

On Monday, February 16th around 8:30 a.m., I arrived at Good Samaritan Hopsital where I was to be admitted for hopefully, my first successful round of chemotherapy, and for port removal.  My oncologist was going to set up the room for my ports to be removed before giving me my first round of chemo.  When I got to the hospital, all they had down for me was the chemotherapy treatment.  Needless to say, I was a little upset that the office had not called and made the arraingments for port removal.  Anyway, they went ahead and admitted me to the hospital, to a beautiful room on the 12th floor of the tower, around 10:30 a.m.  It was a single occupancy room and had wonderful views of the valley.
 
The nurse called my oncologists office to start working on the details of the port removal.  I waited until around 2:30 p.m, and the office sent over a resident to talk with me.  She had talked with my oncologist, who was in surgery all day, and he let her know that he was going to remove my ports in my hospital room.  He was going to be to my room around 6:00 p.m.   By the time 7:30 p.m. rolled around, I was getting worked up.  I had not had anything to eat or drink since midnight and they didn't put the IV in until 4:30 p.m. and had difficulty getting it in since I had gone so long without fluid.   I was having a mini break down out of frustration and was talking with the nurse, when my oncologist walked in.  I had tears in my eyes and told him that I felt that it was too late in the day to remove my ports... I was stressed out, and I knew that he too had such a long and busy day in surgery.  (He was removing my ports as a favor to me instead of having the hospital remove them.)  I just didn't know that it was going to be in my hospital room and at this hour of the night.  Long story short, he said that he could give me medication to put me out a little bit or he could just give me a local.  I was just wanting to get the ports out and opted for the local (this is what happens when you are tired and frustrated!!) 
 
The Dr. started on the port in my chest, and sure enough, my body had grown scar tissue around the port and he had a devil of a time trying to remove it.  I had over 15 shots to keep it numb as he continued to cut it out.  Finally, I was free of the itching port!!  Next, was the port in my abdomen.  This port was put in deep and was really stiched down.  I had more than 15 shots there as well and they attempted to dig to find where to cut the stiches that were put in.  Another Dr. came in to assist as well as four nurses.  One nurse went and got a little shot of morphine and put it into my IV while they were removing the port.  The lighting in the room was not as good a surgery room so they brought in a flashlight to help.  It was quite a trip and I felt every finger and instrument inside of me.  It took around 30 minutes to get the port out and stiched back up.  He said that he had never had such a hard time removing one of his ports before.  He had really stiched it in!  All in all, after the removeal of the ports, I felt pretty good.  Just knowing they were out was awesome and not feeling groggy from medication was worth the moments of pain and pressure.
 
The next moring, Tuesday, February17th, was the day for the chemo.  I was anxious, since I had had two severe reactions, but knew that I couldn't be in a better place if I had a reaction.  They pre-medicated me around 10:00 a.m. and then started the chemo drug, Taxoteer, around 10:30.  It was only about 5 minutes into the chemo treatment and I started reacting, again.  I was having severe back spasms so the IV was immediately stopped.  They contacted my oncologist and he came over about an hour later and signed an order for a new chemo drug.  He said that they were going to let me rest for a little while and then attempt the new chemo drug called Gemcitabine. 
 
Around 4:30 p.m. the chemo drug arrived and they started it in my IV.  I couldn't believe it ~ IT WORKED!!!!   They then added the second chemo drug, Carboplatin, and I tolerated it too!  I was so excited to FINALLY have my first chemo treatment, without reaction, and now I was on my way.  I know that it sounds silly, but I want to get on down the road with this journey that I am on and the only way out is through!!  I was released from the hospital on Wednesday, February 18th, around 2:30 p.m.  I didn't get sick while in the hospital.  I had the best medical staff around.  The nurses I had were exceptional in every way!!  I am so grateful for them and all of their efforts on my behalf. 
 
I have to have another treatment on Tuesday, February 24th.  This chemo regimen they have me on is I have a treatment on DAY 1 of Gemcitabine & Carboplatin and on DAY 8 I just have Gemcitabine.  Then I don't have another treament for 1 week.  That should be the week that I might feel more normal!  Then Round TWO will start.  I have to have 6 rounds of chemo, each Round is three weeks.  I have done pretty well with the nausea but NOTHING sounds good and I am more tired.  (That is why it has taken me so long to pass this info on!!) 
 
So for now, I am trying to remember this:  "I need to never borrow from the future.  If I worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, I have worried in vain.  Even if it does happen, I have worried twice!"  I am trying to take one day, one moment at a time and I KNOW, that with God, all things are possible!!   A.I.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment